Friday, April 6, 2012

Why Good Friday is Good

     When I was younger I never quite understood why Good Friday was "Good". The day that a group of people killed an innocent Jesus did not seem very good at all. I thought about referring to it as Sad Friday and decided I should spend the day in a somber, melancholy mood.
     But today, I cannot glum around and judge people that lived long ago. I am happy and hopeful and, most importantly, saved. Without the events that occurred on that Friday so many years ago I would not know Jesus as my Lord and Savior. Had Jesus not been crucified he would not have had the opportunity to take our sins upon himself and then rise up from the dead on Sunday, conquering both death and sin once and for all. And if that didn't happen then I would not have the relationship with God that I have today or forgiveness of my wrong doings. It is that relationship which has saved me from death, from sin, and from a hopeless life.
     So instead of being separated, we are brought to God. Instead of trying to justify ourselves, we are given grace. Grace is a gift I gladly accept. This is a Good Friday. I have life because He gave His.

"but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God."
                                                            1 Corinthians 1:23-24

I wish I could adequately express how wonderful God really is. But then again, I'm glad I can't, because He is so much more than my words could ever describe.

Questions? Comments? Let's talk

No comments:

Post a Comment